Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Move: Accomplished

Hello again. Well, I'm currently sitting in the living room of my new home in Oakland, typing on my laptop because my Mac is still packed away. I'm looking at the pile of boxes, bags, and furniture in the corner of the room, basically all my possessions. The bedroom that I'm supposed to get is still occupied. For now my stuff stays in the living room, and I sleep in R and D's son's room. I'm not too put off by it because R and D, and their son B, are wonderful people, and already I love living here.

Another thing I'd like to mention is my recent dental work. The appointment to get three of my cavities filled was two and a half hours of pure torture. It started out pretty easy. Turns out my new dentist has some pretty awesome setups for long procedures. I was able to watch shows on hulu while getting my teeth worked on. That distracted me well enough for the first hour. But then there was some shoving of tiny wooden splinters into my gums, and the entire left side of my body going numb from lack of movement... it pretty much just proceeded downhill.

On top of all that, I learn that after only four appointments, my dental insurance for the year is completely depleted. I can't even wait until next year to do the rest of my cavities, because waiting that lokng could end up costing me some of my teeth. So from now until January it's all out of pocket. Out of my parents' pockets and therefor out of my own.

I'm too tired still from all that's been going on to offer my coherent opinion on my own situation, or on the whole health-insurance-issue in this country (suffice it to say nationalized health care would be a real treat for me right now), so I'll ask what you have to say about it. Do you have insurance? Do you like the idea of nationalized health care or are you fine keeping it privatized, and why? If you live outside of the US, what is your country's policy on health care, and do you like or dislike it?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, disappeared from the blog world for a couple days...Glad things are working out with the move!

    We almost lost everything when my dad had to have emergency heart surgery my freshman year of college. It maxed out his insurance, and we're still way in debt because of it. I'm in favor of some sort of nationalized health care option, but I'm not sure the current plan is well-enough thought out to actually make things better. Only time will tell, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the current plan. Obama has implemented some improvements (kids can stay on their parents' insurance until they're 26, regardless of whether they're full-time students), but we've got a long way to go before we have a system that really works.

    Missed you in the blogosphere. Glad to have you back. :) Hope all's well.

    ReplyDelete