Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Questions



Hello readers. In today's blog, I would like to pose a question to you. Imagine you have a very close friend who means the world to you. I'm sure for most of you this will be easy to imagine. Now imagine that this person has basically told you that you are their only good friend, that out of all the other people that this person has met and grown to like, he or she has been unable to maintain a meaningful relationship with anyone but you. How would this knowledge affect you? Would you be elated by the fact that this friend of yours loves you as much as you love them? Would you be sad that he or she doesn't have as many deep, meaningful relationships as such a wonderful person deserves? Would you feel guilty for having friends other than this person, and not being able to fully dedicate yourself to him or her?

Now imagine this close, meaningful friend of yours is gradually spending less and less time with you, and that the time the two of you do spend together, your friend seems almost to ignore you. Imagine your friend is about to embark on a new life, one that will involve you very little, or perhaps none at all. How would this make you feel? Would you feel just a little triumphant that even though your friend won't miss you at first, being too caught up in the excitement of a change of pace, eventually he or she will wish you were around more often? Would you then immediately feel like a complete and utter asshole for wishing misery on someone you love? Would you feel like a selfish prick for wanting all of your friend's attention?

Basically what I'm asking for is reassurance. Tell me I'm not crazy, or selfish, or a horrible person. Or tell me I am. Just be honest. And tell me how you would feel in my situation.

Goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. My best friend and I went through this as well, I moved to college and he stayed home and worked. Eventually we started hanging out more and more every time I visited. Now he's in the Navy Seal training program in California, but I still hear from him almost every night. I'd say just give it a little time, and be there for your friend and it'll all work out. And you are definitley not being selfish or horrible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reassurances Ruth. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering how the apartment hunting's going, and if you're still out there somewhere... :D I hope all is going swimmingly for you!

    ReplyDelete